Thursday, March 23, 2006

Product Pr0n: Portable Video Players (PVPs)


In this week’s Product Pr0n segment I got to download (and watch) a ton of teh pr0n: in the name of research of course. Of the four devices that I looked at: the vaunted Video iPod 5G from Apple, the 100GB Archos AV700 Mobile DVR, and the Cowon A2, I had to give the nod to the Creative Zen Vision:M.

On the hardware side, the Cowon A2 and the Creative Zen Vision:M both kick much ass. The Cowon A2’s vibrant 4-inch display is bigger, brighter, and subsequently better than that of the Creative Zen Vision:M. That said, the Zen’s superior user interface and Windows DRM (Janus) compatibility means that I’ll be inclined to use the Vision:M on a daily basis. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Rhapsody To Go. Oh yeah, and the Zen Vision:M is only $300.

Of course, with its enormous 7-inch screen, 100GB hard drive, and its ability to record TV directly from an external source (like a digital cable or satellite TV box) the Archos AV 700 was promising. The thing is, the screen, while plenty big, is kind of washed out and grainy. Adding insult to injury, the interface and controls are about as unintuitive as anything I’ve ever had the misfortune of trying to figure out. And that whopping $700 price tag means that the device would have to be damn close to perfect to justify the purchase.

Anyway, watch the clip here.

7 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger The B said...

You know, on one hand I have to admit that these video players are pretty cool.

However, on the hand, I have to ask: How badly do you need to see that video to buy one of these....

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger William O'Neal said...

That's a great point, WritinMan: and one that I agree with entirely. While I'm not a big fan of watching television content (or converted DVDs) on a 2" diagonal screen, apparently plenty of people are.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Matty said...

For some reason there's some strange nostalgea factor in watching Firefly on my ipod. Not really the Chief reason I bought one, I did buy it mostly to have all my music on one nice mp3 player.

Keep in mind, I had one of those minidisc players before my first iPod, so naturally I thought it was legendary. From there I just sold my old iPod and graduated to the video version, and once I had the extra video function, I used it. I never really watch it, I just loved the idea of being able to. Which is both sad and disappointing.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger William O'Neal said...

Hey kerry, I'm pretty sure that you can still get the Zen Micro Photo. I have one of those too and I still use it on a regular basis.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"While I'm not a big fan of watching television content (or converted DVDs) on a 2" diagonal screen, apparently plenty of people are."

Ahh..you L.A. people and non-public transport commuting ways.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

Don't you ever ever try to market something so small it would get lost in my purse that won't get me laid for damn near a thousand bucks!

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to see someone who's not falling for Apple's hipe and iPod users. The creative is clearly better and Im glad to see it getting some attention. I've had my Zen Micro for over a year and I'm happy with the sound, although their not very tough mp3 players.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home