Monday, March 27, 2006

Shure E3c Sound Isolating Earphones

($199)


Lately I’ve been on this high-end after-market earphone kick. You know what I’m talking about – those earbuds like the ones that ship with MP3 players (the exceptions being that they don’t suck and cost damn near as much as the MP3 players themselves). Anyway, I put together a segment last week that will air tomorrow (Tuesday, March 28th) on Attack of the Show where I put five pairs of noise-cancelling earphones through their paces. Unfortunately, the Shure E3cs didn’t arrive in time to make the roundup. That said, I’ve been playing with these $200 babies and they’re amazing.

As far as audio quality is concerned, they’re definitely on par with the $200 super.fi 5EBs from Ultimate Ears that I go into more detail about in the segment. However, the super.fi 5EBs handle the low-ends that are so prevalent in the hip-hop and R&B that I listen to better and they’re also more comfortable. That said, the Shure E3cs come with a ton of extra sleeves so finding a fit for your particular ear(s) shouldn’t be a problem. Additionally, I handled the bass problem by turning on the Bass Boost on my Creative Zen Vision:M.

Of course, if you’re about to plunk down $200+ dollars on a set of earphones I’d suggest trying some out before you buy. While the super.fi 5EBs are my current favorites, the Shure E3c may better fit your musical tastes – and ears.

3 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"if you’re about to plunk down $200+ dollars on a set of earphones I’d suggest trying some out before you buy"

This is probably the difficult part for the manufacturers. How do you convince people that have never listed to high-end earphones (I havent') to purchase them. It's not like they have demo's sitting out in Best Buy (and if they did...would you use them?) ick.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger William O'Neal said...

Yeah it's weird. I feel the same way about Bluetooth headsets. I have used plenty of them and while some are more comfortable than others, some just plain hurt. I'd never buy one of those without first trying em on. Of course, that's the kind of product you could try on at a store before buying online.

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any recommendations for non-standard headphones/earbuds, like you use in cellphones with built-in mp3 players? I bought the Verizon Music Essentials kit, which comes with stereo earbuds, and they're not bad actually, but would like some good quality ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home