Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ViewSonic VP2330wb 23" Widescreen LCD Display ($1,249)


Today was one of those crazy days where I spent the morning editing a segment that’s gonna air on Thursday, while simultaneously preparing to appear on Attack of the Show. In a word: stressful. At lunch I returned to my desk to see which fires would be waiting for me in my Inbox. Imagine my delight at being met not with angry emails from everyone and their mother, but rather, the ViewSonic VP2330wb 23" Widescreen LCD Display!

This baby rocks two inputs: standard VGA as well as DVI. I attached my janky-ass desktop machine to the VGA port and this smoking new Falcon Northwest gaming laptop to the DVI port. The monitor’s native resolution is an enormous 1920x1200 which means that you can have two full documents or two independent applications next to each other. It’s also HDTV-720p compatible. Of course, with an optimum resolution like that I was worried that it would suffer some during gameplay – since most games don’t run at 1920x1200.

I fired up the Battlefield 2 demo on the Falcon laptop and the game looked great. I played the game at 1600x1200 and the screen scaled perfectly. In the past, I’ve used LCDs that, when used at a resolution other than its optimum, looked like shit.

The VP2330wb boasts a detachable base which makes it easy to mount to a wall and users can adjust the height (obviously) as well as the tilt. Oh yeah, and it also pivots so that you can view your documents vertically. Pretty cool eh?

4 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger William O'Neal said...

"Gift from the management?" I wish. The only "gifts" that I expect from them are of the pink paper variety.

Jokes aside, I'm gonna use it in an upcoming segment.

As for the hatemail, that only comes from my mom.

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's that bad boy cost? I went and got that 20" widescreen Dell monitor we talked about a few threads back, its optimal resolution is 1680x1050, and that makes the font and icons pretty small. But it looks crisp as hell though. FEAR, HL2, and Oblivion all run at that resolution, but not very fast on a medium-powerful computer, so I usually turn it down to something like 1240x720, not entirely sure what that widescreen res is. I also like that rotating feature.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should try another game as a demo for widescreen game testing. As I understand it, Battlefield2 doesn't have a widescreen mode...so it just stretches.
-----
If you use it in a future show, you may want to compare it with lesser cost alternatives.
How about a Dell 24" $800.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11115702&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Cries a little inside* I wish i had the monitor, lol. I think you'd make a great well i don't like the word "replacement"...just that i think it'd be fine if you were on AOTS more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home