Friday, March 03, 2006

Kicking it old school (and free)!


Last night I was trying to update DTE (that’s short for “Designed to expire…”) on my laptop when I realized that I never installed an office suite on it: I pretty much use it exclusively to listen to music, surf the Internet and play games. “Shit!” I thought. “What’s a nigga to do?” And then I harkened back to my days as a Linux geek and decided to check out StarOffice. Back in the day (that would be the mid to late ‘90s) StarOffice was a free office suite that worked with Linux. Sun Microsystems has since acquired StarOffice and they’re now charging for it. Bitches! That said, you can still download a free version of it called OpenOffice that’s available for Windows, MacOS as well as Linux. The download is big (nearly 90MB) but it’s worth it. Ha ha! Get it? It’s free. So it’s worth it. Don’t worry; I’ll keep my day job. Anyway, the cool thing about OpenOffice is that it pretty much does everything that Microsoft Office can do, and you don’t have to pay for – or steal – it. If you’re bored, or just feel like thumbing your nose at the big guy I highly recommend visiting the official OpenOffice site and checking it out. It’ll make you feel all hardcore and shit.

3 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"harkened back to your days as a Linux geek?"

Does that imply you no longer are? If that's so, that kinda sucks.... :(

BTW OpenOffice came built in with my copy of Ubuntu Linux ;)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger murdocsangel said...

I use OpenOffice!

*feels all hardcore now*

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger William O'Neal said...

I haven't used Linux since like 2000. Yeah, I got lazy and sold out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home